For this coming vintage we are looking at using four different yeast types for our Fiasco Sauvignon Blanc. Apart from providing us with alcohol these little beasts influence both the aroma and textural qualities of the wine. Blending is really quite important for us because we are ‘single vineyard’. Our soils are pretty consistent throughout, so we don’t harvest with sub-blocks in mind. Essentially, our Sauvignon will come in all at once so we’ll dabble with a bit of yeast magic in the winery. I guess if we want to use the ‘terroir’ word, this is one example of how yeast can change the dynamics of the flavour profiles in wine.
The juice will be squeezed into four different parcels (tanks) and then innoculated with each yeast type.
Anyhow, here’s the exciting bit. We’d like to get our Fiasco followers involved in the blending process. We want to take the wine drinking experience one step further and include those (Fiascoians) that want in the winemaking process! This, to us, makes total sense…….
1. We’ve got other people to blame for the crap wine (just joking).
2. We get to share our Fiasco journey with other people. Really important!
3. Imagine the party if it did anygood somewhere!
4. You could claim to be “godlike” because you were a winemaker 🙂
5. I’ve never really had a clue about wine. I need all the help I can get…..!!
6. Heaps of fun.
7. YOUR OPINION DOES COUNT.
8. We are human and real. Not another faceless brand
Logistically, this could be a nightmare but we think we’ve got the answer. For those locally and or available we could get together and have a mid-winter blendathon. For those afar we’d send four small samples, then blog your results, or tweet at a set time.
Let us know what you think!